Govt plans to set up 2,000 waterports; 30 on Ganga between Varanasi-Haldia
- Government plans to set up 2,000 waterports as well as “Ro-Ro” services at 5 select places to transport goods and vehicles
- Besides, there is a plan to develop 1,300 islands and 280 light houses as major attractions for tourists
- Government is also constructing waterways on a 1,620 kilometer stretch on the Ganga between Varanasi and Haldia and 30 water ports would be constructed there.
- Varanasi, Haldia and Sahibganj will be developed as multi-modal hubs with roadways, waterways and railways.
- Government will soon start Ro-Ro (Roll-on Roll-off) service at five places including Haldia, Patna, Varanasi and Sahibganj with the World Bank assistance. Once they are operational, trucks could be transported till the points leading to huge savings which in turn would boost economy
- Cargo transportation through river could bring the charges down to as low as 10 paise a km in comparison to Rs 1.5 per km for transportation through road and Rupee one through waterways.
- Government had initiated river traffic control system from Haldia to Farakka and the system will be introduced in next six months from Farakka to Patna and thereafter from Patna to Varanasi.