Daily Current Affair Quiz: 21st August 2019
1. Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission is launched by
- NASA’s MMS investigates how the Sun’s and Earth’s magnetic fields connect and disconnect, explosively transferring energy from one to the other in a process that is important at the Sun, other planets, and everywhere in the universe, known as magnetic reconnection.
- Reconnection limits the performance of fusion reactors and is the final governor of geospace weather that affects modern technological systems such as telecommunications networks, GPS navigation, and electrical power grids.
2. Sericin is associated with?
(a) Silk Worm
(b) Wild Turkey
- Produced by silkworms, it is a silk protein which is known to possess anti-oxidant and other medicinal properties.
- These properties depend on amino acid composition and secondary metabolites (polyphenols and flavonoids) of sericin.
- They vary with source of silkworms and their availability depends on the length of sericin peptides obtained during extraction.
3. Which of the following statements are true?
1. Fly ash is a major source of PM 2.5
2. Fly ash contains heavy metals from coal and black carbon (BC).
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Fly ash is a major source of PM 2.5 (fine, respirable pollution particles) in summer. It becomes air borne, and gets transported to a radius of 10 to 20 kms.It can settle on water and other surfaces.
- Fly ash contains heavy metals from coal, a large amount of PM 2.5 and black carbon (BC).
4. Biological Oxygen Demand is associated with?
(a) Water Pollution indicator
(b) Minimum oxygen level organism needs to survive
(c) Air Pollution with respect to Particulate matter
(d) Minimum oxygen level needed to maintain during space travel
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD, also called Biological Oxygen Demand) is the amount of dissolved oxygen needed (i.e. demanded) by aerobic biological organisms to break down organic material present in a given water sample at certain temperature over a specific time period.
- It is an Indicator of water pollution.
5. Beresheet robotic lander was launched by
- It is an Israeli robotic lander for a lunar probe.
- It had carried human DNA samples, along with the ‘Tardigrades’ and 30 million small digitized pages of information about human society and culture.
- It crashed and spilled the tardigrades on the Moon.