Daily Quiz: 17th April 2019
1. Which of the following pairs are rightly matched.
1. Myanmar – Irrawady
2. Bhutan – Manas
3. Nepal – Gandak
a) 1 only
b) 1 and 2 only
c) 1,2 and 3
d) 1 and 3 only
2.Which among the following countries are members of QUAD grouping.
a) 1,2 and 3
b) 1,3 and 4
c) 1,2 ,3 and 4
d) None of the above
3. Consider the following statements:
1. Microplastics are shed by synthetic clothing, vehicle tyres and the spillage of plastic pellets used by manufacturers.
2. Micro-plastics can harbour harmful microbes.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
4. Which of the following statements are true?
1. National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed a Central Monitoring Committee to prepare and enforce a national plan to make over 350 river stretches across the country pollution free.
2. The Chairman of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) will be the nodal authority for coordination.
a)Both 1 and 2
c) 2 only
d) Neither 1 nor 2
5. Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) is a planned space probe that will demonstrate the kinetic effects of crashing an impactor spacecraft into an asteroid moon for planetary defense purposes. It is launched by
1. Ans: c
- The Irrawaddy or, officially, Ayeyarwady River is a river that flows from north to south through Myanmar. It is the country’s largest river and most important commercial waterway.
- The Gandaki River is one of the major rivers of Nepal and a left bank tributary of the Ganges in India.
- The Manas River is a transboundary river in the Himalayan foothills between southern Bhutan and India. It is named after Manasa, the serpent god in Hindu mythology
2. Ans: d
- The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QSD, also known as the Quad) is an informal strategic dialogue between the United States, Japan, Australia and India that is maintained by talks between member countries.
3. Ans: c
- Microplastic pollution spans the world, according to new studies showing contamination in lakes and rivers, in groundwater and along and the coasts.
- Humans are known to consume the tiny plastic particles via food and water, but the possible health effects on people and ecosystems have yet to be determined. One study has found that micro-plastics can harbour harmful microbes.
4. Ans: c
- National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed a Central Monitoring Committee to prepare and enforce a national plan to make over 350 river stretches across the country pollution free.
- The Chairman of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) will be the nodal authority for coordination.
- The Chief Secretaries of the states will act as the nodal agency at the state level.
- The committee has been composed to monitor pollution of rivers, as it has caused a serious threat to the safety of water and environment.
5. Ans: a
- Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) is a planned space probe that will demonstrate the kinetic effects of crashing an impactor spacecraft into an asteroid moon for planetary defence purposes. The mission is intended to test whether a spacecraft impact could successfully deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth.