- The government is looking to leverage its Common Services Centres (CSCs) to enable easy access to banking services, particularly in rural areas.
Govt. to tap CSCs for rural banking access
- The withdrawal facility has already been introduced at the CSCs whereas opening of accounts is being worked out with the banks and is likely to be rolled-out shortly. With the CSCs, the government aims to make one person in every family digitally literate in four years.
- Through CSCs the entrepreneurs have earned a total commission of Rs.438 crore till now on e-services such as pan cards.
- Officials should see to that the CSCs provided Internet connectivity on priority basis, Mr. Prasad said. The CSCs should take the lead role in spreading e-commerce in rural India and in promoting local artisans. To incentivise village level entrepreneurs, the minister said three best performing entrepreneurs would be rewarded Rs.2 lakh, Rs 1 lakh and Rs 50,000 each.
- CSCs play important role as an interface between the government and the beneficiaries of e-services, thus reducing corruption and delays